I am a little sad

Because really, honestly, I would like all of you to be here with me. Only one week down and I already know that this is one of the best things to have ever happened to me.

Four months with no worries about anything secular. Especially after the recent decomposition of mine and my roommates flat irons... that was the last time we cared about what we looked like. No job, no cell phone, no facebook (which has been oddly relieving, who knew there were so many hours in a day?). I miss the people at home a whole lot, but there is something indescribably wonderful going on here. 83 college students coming together, no preconceived notions, learning to live with each other as family.

I love all of it.

Today is Friday, which is the Jewish Sabbath, a day when they all congregate at the Western Wall. Thanks to my classes, I could probably tell you everything found on that Wiki page, but sometimes ones must take the lazy route. As we have been discussing this wall in our classes, we decided to visit it tonight.

It was nothing short of delightful.

Hundreds of Jews coming from all around to pray at their holiest place, and I was there to witness it. They came, they danced, they prayed, they backed away without turning away, and then they returned home.

Let us take a moment to think about this. These are Jews, many are Orthodox Jews, meaning they keep the Sabbath day holy. They do not write, they do not turn on lights, they do not drive.

These people are so dedicated to their religion that they walked from their homes to pray at this holy site.

Talk about dedication and sacrifice. When was the last time I did something like that?

Amidst all of their dedicated prayer, there was still time for fun. Let me tell you, those people like their music and their dancing, and so did we.

We did not hesitate to join in their clapping and chanting, though we did not know the words. They were so nice and so welcoming and ushered us into the center of their circles as they worked with us to learn their moves and their words.

I had the time of my life.

I spent this Friday night dancing in celebration with the Jews at their holiest place on their Sabbath day.

How many people can say that?

I would love to upload pictures of the occasion, but that was not allowed.

So instead I will give you pictures of what Kristen and I wore! We had to combine the following aspects:
-Sunday appropriate
-Good walking shoes
-Warm
-Modest (to the collar bones and at least mid-calf)
-Somewhere to keep $ where it would not be stolen

The result:
Oh baby! Two words: Fashion Gurus. We actually tried to accessorize. I'm not even kidding. I wore a gold scarf and Kristen wore a gray one. It was rough, but let's be honest, hadn't we already hit the point of no return? 

In closing, let me just say that there are few things that bring as much comfort as the voice of your mother. Thank you for everything you do!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment