Daughters



"My daughter wasn’t born into royalty, but she was born into a country where she can now vote, become a doctor, a pilot, an astronaut, or even President if she wants and that’s what really matters. I wanted her to know the value of these amazing women who had gone against everything so she can now have everything. We chose 5 women...as it was her 5th birthday but there are thousands of unbelievable women (and girls) who have beat the odds and fought (and still fight) for their equal rights all over the world...so let’s set aside the Barbie Dolls and the Disney Princesses for just a moment, and let’s show our girls the real women they can be."  


I am absolutely terrified of having daughters. Of course boys come with their own set of struggles, but maybe (definitely) because I'm a woman, I am very aware of the pressure put on woman to be what the media wants them to be. One of my greatest priorities for my (potential future) daughters is to make sure they have good, strong role models. So when I came across this photography project a few years ago I fell in love with it immediately.

When the photographer's daughter turned five she dressed her up as successful, powerful, confident women throughout history. She wanted to show her that there is more to being a woman than being famous or thin - that being smart, hard working, and brave are the greater qualities.

Of course our daughters are going to look up to Disney Princesses and they will see the images on magazine covers, but let's make sure that our daughters have real role models to look up to as well.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is SO cool! Kind of like our conversation today....self-image is such a big deal with girls (and boys too)!

    ReplyDelete