Book List

One of my New Year's resolutions was to read 30 books in 2015. This definitely wasn't a "stretch myself" goal so much as a "make sure I keep reading now that baby is here" goal. Well, it's the first week of April and I've read 20 books so far, so I think my new goal should be to read at least 6 books a month. I will let you know how it goes!
Here is a quick summary of the books I have read so far: 

1. Big Little Lies - This book follows the lives of three women - all mothers at the same elementary school, all with lives more complicated than they first appear. As one Goodreads review said, "this is the funniest book about domestic abuse I have ever read." There were some deep themes in this book that keep me from recommending it to the general public, but, that being said, I really enjoyed this book. 

2. What Alice Forgot - Alice falls at the gym and wakes up without her past 10 years of memories. Last thing she remembers is being happily married and pregnant with her first child, but now she is mid-divorce and mother to three. Written by the same author as Big Little Lies, this book also deals with some deep underlying themes, but without the darkness that comes with BLL. I absolutely loved this book and highly recommend it. Also, Amazon just informed me that they're making a movie! How fun.

3. Wonder - Auggie, a boy born with a facial deformity, heads off to 5th grade, his first year of public school. This book is an uplifting, funny, moving look into friendship, bullying, and what it means to be a good person. I loved this book with all of my heart and definitely think every person of every age should read this book. 

4. The Julian Chapter - A follow up book to Wonder, we get to see things from the perspective of the class bully. If you read Wonder (which of course you will), defiantly read this as well. 

5. The Husband's Secret - Cecilia stumbles upon a letter from her husband that is meant to be read in the event of his death. Now that she knows his dying secret, what is she suppose to do? By the same author of Big Little Lies and What Alice Forgot, this book was my least favorite of the three, though I would still recommend it. This book also deals with deep themes, which I am sensing is a talent for this author! She has a gift of showing you the perspective of someone going through a hard time and helped me understand how someone in a different situation might feel. 

6. Jennifer, Gwyneth & Me - The author of one of my all-time favorites, MWF seeking BFF, has done it again. Rachel Bertsche goes out on a quest to find the secret to celebrities' happiness. Is it their clothes? Their diet? Their work ethic or daily meditation? This is a fun, light read that, if you are anything like me, will inspire you to take control of your life and be the person you want to be. 

7. To Kill a Mockingbird - This book is a classic for a reason, and I cannot believe it has taken me this long to read it. The book follows young Scout, a spit-fire girl living in the south during the 30s. In short, this book is about life. Deeply moving and completely lovable. 

8. The Help - Is there anyone who hasn't read this and/or seen the movie? This beloved classic is just as good as the hype, and the book adds enough that it is worth reading on top of seeing the movie.  

9. Heaven is Here - In case you have been absent from the blog world for forever, Stephanie Nielson was in a plane crash and lost 80% of her skin. This book is the story of her life before, during, and after the crash. 

10. We Were Liars - The story of a famously rich family and the drama that comes with it. I did not love this book, but I did enjoy it. I also did not see the twist coming, though apparently many people did.  

11. Thirteen Reasons Why - Hannah has committed suicide, but before she did she recorded tapes to send the thirteen people who caused her to do it. I did not enjoy this book. I did not find her reason for suicide to be believable, and that made it hard for me to be ok with reading about it. I had a really hard time feeling emotionally attached to this book. 

12. One More Thing - A compilation of short stories by B.J. Novak. I have mixed feelings. Some were amazing, clever, and hilarious. Some were inappropriate to the point of me never recommending this to anyone. 

13. Landline - Georgie's marriage is in trouble, and she and her husband both know it. Through a series of events, she comes across a landline that allows her to talk to her husband - in the past. She realizes she has the opportunity to end her marriage before it even starts, and she is faced with the decision to keep her life as it is or go in another direction. 

14. I Was Here - Meg and Cody have always been best friends, but when Cody commits suicide after going to college, Meg realizes there is a lot to Cody that she never knew. She is left with the task of piecing together the clues that Cody left behind as to why she would take her own life. 

15. Yes Please - Let me just say it. Of all the celebrity memoirs I have read, I would recommend Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me. So that should let you know how I felt about Yes Please. I mean, it was enjoyable, it was entertaining, but like, you're famous and you know famous people. I get it. 

16. Shatter Me - Juliette's touch is fetal, and her government knows it. They want to use her as a weapon against their enemies, but Juliette has plans of her own. This book was entertaining, but I will likely not read the sequels. 

17. Everything I Never Told You - Lydia, the favorite child, has died, and no one knows how it happened. Was it by choice? Was she killed? After her passing, her parents and siblings are forced to face the emotions they have been keeping down. Will these feelings pull their family apart, or will they be able to close the gaps that Lydia's absence has left? 

18. The Conspiracy of Us - Avery thought her life was nothing special, but she is soon to discover that she is part of the world's greatest conspiracy theory. This book was a YA version of the Da Vinci Code, and I loved it. Highly recommended. 

19. Legend - In this dystopian novel, June is the government's most treasured soldier, and Day is their most wanted criminal. When June is put to the task of taking Day down, she is lead on a road that reveals secrets that she never knew her government held. She realizes what extent her government will go reach to keep a secret, and she has to discover if everything she has ever known is a lie.  

20. Prodigy - Sequel to Legend. I won't go into much detail as not to spoil the prequel. June and Day continue their adventures in their dystopian land! I have enjoyed this series and definitely recommend it. 

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome! So how do you find time to read as a mom? I always feel like the only time I get to read is the scriptures- and sometimes that doesn't even happen. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just lucked out with a baby who provides a lot of time for me! Carter LOVES being outside, so almost every day we go for a walk in the stroller for about an hour and I listen to an audio book and he just enjoyed outside. I know that won't be possible once he wants to talk about all the things he sees! Also, it really just depends on if I have a book I enjoy. If I want to read it then I take advantage of nap times and the times when Spencer is home to get some reading in, but if I don't love the book then I'm usually watching Friends instead.

      Delete
  2. No WONDER you're such a natural writer. You read SO MUCH! I'm inspired. I need to read more. And to think I was so proud of myself for reading Elder Maxwell's biography this year -- the only book I've read start to finish this year so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS something to be proud of! Seriously. I am always so impressed by your ability to quote prophets, your knowledge of the gospel is so inspiring!

      Delete
  3. I love these suggestions! I am totally adding some of these to my list. And I totally agree about Amy Poehler's book. I was so excited and then I didn't really love it. Like, I was bored. I actually went a checked out Tina Fey's and Mindy Kaling's afterwards and read them again because.....I'm s pathetic fangirl.

    ReplyDelete