The Whole 30

I started my gym two years ago.

Considering how pathetically weak I still am, I cringe to admit that. But, in my defense, I have undergone two major surgeries and spent four months abroad since then which has resulted in a lot of time off. 

But still, I have been looking for a way to up my performance, and the other day it came to me: The Whole 30. 

In short it is a way of eating that promotes energy and overall well being. It's pretty extreme. Here is a list of things to stay away from:


  • Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels (and your Success Guide FAQ), because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
  • Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
  • Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. Yes, we said corn… for the purposes of this program, corn is a grain! This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.
  • Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
  • Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)
  • Do not eat white potatoes. This is somewhat arbitrary, but if we are trying to change your habits and improve the hormonal impact of your food choices, it’s best to leave white, red, purple, Yukon gold and fingerling potatoes off your plate. (Refer to your Success Guide FAQ for details).

I have been hearing about this since I started at the gym, but I haven't ever taken it seriously. I thought about doing it freshman year, but can you imagine trying to do that thing at a college cafeteria? Yeah. No. 

But tonight I decided to do it. I asked a trainer at my gym for more information a few days ago and tonight I thoroughly stalked the blog and decided it was time. 

The best part is that my roommates, Bronwyn and Jennie, are completely on board and are going to do it with me, which will make it more do-able. 

We just cleaned our cupboards of all the "don't" foods and we're on our way to get the "do's."

This is our motivational desktop background
This is our "chain for success" with motivational thoughts for each of the 30 days
This is the food we're getting rid of.  

3 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo!!!! This is AWESOME!!!! And.. Oreo's?! You honestly ate those? Well...let's just say I'm really excited to see that you're doing this. On and, I want some of those baby peppers in a serious way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am confused! I didn't see the oreos or the baby peppers! And I LOVE your motivational background!The words at the bottom about heroin and cancer are the best! Did you come up with that?

    Goog luck to you both! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete