This is what's wrong with me

Hip Dysplasia: a congenital deformation or misalignment of the hip joint.

Most commonly found in:
-Dogs
-Babies
-Females between the age of 17 and 21

Basically, you, the reader, have hips that are shaped normally, so when you walk, nothing out of the ordinary happens. 

However, my hips sockets go out at a different angle than yours, so when I walk the little ball joint that sits in my socket rubs the wrong way, cutting away at the cartilage and, eventually, the bone. 

Don't worry guys, I drew a nice little diagram for your convenience:
The arrows in the second picture show the problem areas
This, from what I can tell, is pretty easy to diagnose. All they do is look at your X-ray and then they know. Cool.

The procedure done to fix this deformity is called POA, which stands for Periacetabular Osteotomy. Or Prisoner of Azkaban. Ya know, whatever.

It is a four hour procedure that includes the cutting off, realignment, and replacement of the leg. After it is completed the inside of you looks something like this:


You then spend approximately four to five days in a hospital bed where they give you a happy button that, when pressed, gives you a nice dose of morphine. You also get your blood drawn each day, and a nice shot to the stomach just as often. 

This picture really doesn't do my shot bruises justice. They're much cooler in real life.
After they release you, you come home and spend a few weeks sleeping. You find that things like moving from the bedroom to the kitchen take the energy usually required to run a mile.

Then, six weeks later, you go back to the surgeon and he either says "Great! Away with the crutches!" or "Congrats, you get to go down to one crutch for six more weeks!" 

In the first situation,  you cry with happiness. I don't know what happens in the second situation, I was lucky the first time around. 

The biggest long-term side effect of this surgery (besides the wicked 6 inch scars) is that you are not to run. Like, ever. Apparently the impact does really bad things and you'll find yourself getting a hip replacement at age 40. 

And, well, that's all folks! Hope that made sense :)


And, um, I want this:


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. thanks for the info. Didn't know what happen to you until now

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, ouch! I've been pretty curious myself. I hope you heal well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they didn't actually cut y our legs off and re attach them. That sounds excruciating. Feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um,ADORABLE! Where is that swim suit from? Have you looked Athleta's web site? It's a new personal favorite of mine and they have some really cute suits as well. What si this? You only had to use crutches for six weeks? I got the "you have to use one crutch for six more weeks" on both surgeries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the swimsuit! And, here's to hoping you get off crutches the first time around. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still amazed that they can do what they do in a surgery room. Best wishes in recovery. If lemon bars would help with the healing just let me know. Love the suit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadie,
    Congenital hip displasia runs in my family. My mom had it, my aunt, my second cousin, two of my cousins, my cousin's baby girl, etc....Lots of cases of it. I am always bracing myself that one of my kids'll have it. If it makes you feel any better, my mom was diagnosed with it when she was 2, over 50 years ago, and back then the treatment was to put you in a body cast from your armpits to your ankles for 2 years. Then you re-learn to walk after that. And my mom had her hip replaced when I was on my mission and she was only about 50. Crazy how far they've come! I'm sorry you had to go through that. Hope you are feeling lots better now!

    ReplyDelete