"Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life." ~ Mortimer J. Adler ~

The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time.
Written by Mark Haddon. 220 pages. 233 chapters - going by prime numbers.


This book has been sitting on my mother's bookshelf for years, and has many times found itself in my pile of possible interests. Each time, however, it has managed to make its way back to the shelf before I have cracked it open. Though this summer it finally had its turn, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

A while back my sister read this book, and its one downfall is how many times she had to take white-out to its pages. And now you have been warned.

Whited-out expletives behind, this book is nothing short of endearing. It is simply a good, heartwarming story that shows the world from a point of view unfamiliar to many of us. It forces one out of their state of mind and opens the door to a whole new way of thinking.


The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
Written by Alan Bradley. 370 pages. 27 chapters.




This book features an eleven year old heroine, Flavia de Luce, whose knowledge and wit are those of a fully grown, fully educated woman. While this fact did not bother me, it seemed to displease my mother. So, i guess, you've been warned?


This book is a murder mystery. As I am not particularly a fan of the mystery genre, I normally would not have been drawn to this book. However, the lime green cover, the orange spot of color, and the title drew me in. This is one of those instances when judging a book by its cover led to a greater good.

While the story was entertaining, the characters were lovable, and the murder was intriguing, the element that kept me turning the pages was the wording.

Alan Bradley truly has a gift. The most simple of phrases about getting over the common cold, or searching for the right word, were turned into laughably clever one-liners. While the plot itself was not a comedy, the style of writing had me laughing out loud, re-reading the cleverest of lines again and again.


The Hiding Place
Written by Corrie Ten Boom. 241 pages.


This book tells the story of a woman whose family hid Jews in their home, and who were eventually caught and punished accordingly. Admittedly, I would not have read this book had it not been assigned, but I am so glad that it was. Truly, honestly, this book has had a greater impact on my life than any other book I have read. 

The stories and experiences shared not only teach lessons of optimism, but of faith, God, and miracles. The journey that Corrie's life takes is almost unbelievable. This is the sort of book that requires a friend to listen while you repeat the stories you have read. I finished this book at least six months ago and I still find myself looking for opportunities to share what I learned. This book will cause you to change your whole outlook and see your life in the most optimistic of light. 

<3

1 comment:

  1. Sade, I loved The Hiding Place. I agree, if it would have been my book I would have underlined and highlighted a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete